Positive Images: Teaching about Abstinence, Contraception, and Sexual Health
By Peggy Brick & Bill Taverner
This popular manual features 29 lessons for teaching about abstinence, contraception, and other aspects of sexual health. Useful for middle and high schools, colleges, religious groups, and youth-serving agencies. The lessons, with more than 50 handouts and interactive worksheets, help students:
- Assess whether they are at risk for an unplanned pregnancy or sexually transmitted infection.
- Build decision-making and communication skills.
- Develop skills to work with a partner to assume responsibility for contraception, safer sex, or abstinence.
- All Together Now: A One-Shot 40 Minutes Lesson on Preventing Unwanted Pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Savvy Websites: In Search of Accurate Sexuality Information on the Net
- Sexuality Through the Lifespan
- Contraception in Perspective: A History of Birth Control
- Mixed Messages: Growing Up in a Sexually Confusing Society
- Making the Parent Connection: Encouraging Communication within the Family
- So What’s an Abstinence Anyway?
- Community of Adolescents
- Choices and Consequences: Making Decisions about Contraception
- Contraception: The Male Factor
- They Plan For It: Comparing Adolescent Sexual Behavior in Different Countries
- What’s Your Advice? Adult Male – Teen Girl Relationships
- Protect Yourself: The First Time and Every Time
- Putting Contraception into Romance
- Creating Positive Images: Advertising for Contraception and Safer Sex
- What a Difference! Comparing the Pill, Depo-Provera, Lunelle, and Norplant
- Choosing Condoms
- Condom Comfort
- Condom Talk: Practice Makes Perfect
- “Spongeworthy”: How to Use an Insertive Method
- Getting It: Consumer Skills for Contraception
- Emergency Contraception: For Emergency Use Only!
- Contraception Throughout the Lifespan
- Club Drugs: Reducing the Risk of Drug-Facilitated Sexual Assault
- It’s Your Body: Understanding Reproductive Health
- It’s Your Right: How to Access Reproductive Health Services
- Positively Pregnant: Prenatal Care – The Difference It Makes
- Every Body Makes a Difference: Thinking About the World’s Population
- It’s No Game: Knowing About Abstinence, Contraception, and Sexual Health